Job Type: Global Recruitment
Closing Date: Sep. 11, 2023
Social Development Associate
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow-infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized at USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Collaborating with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Social Development Associate will be primarily responsible for supporting the integration of social development dimensions into the operational work of AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves activities to:
- address the social dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training; and
- manage the social risks and impacts in investment strategies, policies, programs and projects.
- Support the formulation and implementation of the social development aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs, and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies;
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate social impact assessment;
- Support the preparation of Social Impact Assessment Reports and Resettlement Plans in projects across priority sectors such as water, energy or transport;
- Support the design, preparation, and implementation by clients of the social assessments of plans and frameworks (social management, involuntary resettlement, and indigenous peoples);
- Participate in the management of the social risks and impacts of investment projects by conducting social reviews, advisory work and compliance studies (including field-based reviews)
- Monitor E&S aspects in projects under implementation
- Support the development and monitoring of courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning client compliance with the social requirements of AIIB;
- Support the coordination of the application of disclosure of and consultation on social assessments and related studies at the project level;
- Support the development of AIIB’s approach toward certain issues such as gender, labor and disability.;
- Coordinate the application of project-level grievance resolution mechanisms;
- Handle project-level complaints from NGOs/ CSOs.
- Support the development of training on social safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients; and
- As needed, engage with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations on social issues.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant experience in environmental planning and management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank (MDB), bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Proven application of professional expertise in planning and management of the environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Demonstrated experience preparing Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and Environmental Management Plans (EMPs).
- Experience in the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level environmental assessment and related types of studies, including environmental management plans and frameworks.
- Effective ability to participate in project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations and management. Demonstrated experience of monitoring E&S aspects for projects under implementation.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to work with public and private sector clients, and development partners (MDBs and bilateral development organizations) of AIIB in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience serving as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English, knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, planning or related fields.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.