Research / Academic
We are looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic Associate Professor who enjoy collaboration, show enthusiasm for crossing disciplinary boundaries and are passionate about teaching in interdisciplinary educational programmes.
The research focus of the Knowledge, Technology and Innovation (KTI) group is to understand, support and intervene in processes of socio-technical innovation and transformation, with special attention to the dynamics involved in the production, integration and use of scientific and other knowledge in such processes. Our research efforts focus on three intersecting research themes: (1) making knowledge work; (2) configuring technology and society; and (3) co-designing responsible and sustainable innovations. The transformative potential of knowledge and technology on society, and vice versa, are approached by KTI faculty as two sides of a co-production process. Through working with stakeholders at an early stage in transdisciplinary research, we develop, apply and critically reflect on innovation processes to help shape and adjust technological and social innovation, so it becomes embedded in society in a fair and accountable way. We apply our knowledge and methodologies in a variety of interdisciplinary educational tracks.
Our studies are conducted across a variety of domains, including food, health, water systems, agricultural transitions, biodiversity, and environment – areas in which Wageningen University and Research offers an excellent ecosystem of knowledge and application. The KTI Group is embedded in the Social Sciences Department of Wageningen University – a vibrant community of social science scholars from a multiplicity of disciplines. Our teaching programme attracts an international and diverse student community in the fields of international development and transition and innovation studies as well as interdisciplinary students with a background in the natural or technical sciences.
We are seeking candidates with:
- a PhD in a relevant social science discipline or interdisciplinary field (e.g. science and technology studies, innovation studies, sociology, anthropology, development studies, etc.);
- affinity and experience with inter and transdisciplinary research and teaching in a domain relevant to Wageningen University;
- a strong publication record relative to their stage of career and the position applied for;
- a proven capacity to acquire, lead and manage externally-funded research projects relative to their stage of career and the position applied for;
- a broad understanding and appreciation of different theoretical and methodological traditions and research techniques used in our field of study;
- strong methodological skills;
- excellent research, teaching and supervision abilities;
- the ability to link theory with practice;
- good didactic qualities and enthusiasm for teaching and working with students in an international setting;
- a collaborative orientation and good management skills;
- an inspiring vision for future research and teaching for the coming years, that fits well in the overall KTI vision and ethos.
KTI works to develop and sustain an inclusive academic culture in which people and ideas can flourish and we welcome applications from people in all diversity groups, particularly women, ethnic minorities and candidates from the Global South.
Tenure Track is a career path for scientists who excel in education and research. We seek to attract talented scientists and to stimulate and support their development. The career path consists of a number of successive career steps from Associate Professor to possibly Personal Professor. For additional information please see: https://www.wur.nl/en/Jobs/Your-development-in-focus/Tenure-Track.htm. Evaluation on job performance takes place every 3-4 years, and a positive outcome will lead to a permanent position after 7 years. Wageningen University & Research will also offer newly appointed researchers the opportunity to apply for starters grants, as well as other internal grants.
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- sabbatical leave, study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation / holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will of course receive a good salary. Depending on your experience, we offer a competitive gross salary of between € 5.506 and € 7.364,- for a full-time working week of 38 hours, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) (scale 13-14).
An appointment of 0.8 FTE is negotiable.
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 17th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief, known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research’s International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling, and other issues.
38 hours per week